Influenster

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Doctors Scare Me.

I can't believe I'm almost a week into this whole writing my face off thing. It's been such an amazing experience and it's just begun. I'm really excited to see where it leads me from here.


Day 6: "Self care is everything. Tell me about five things you can do this week to prioritize and treat yourself."

Self care is such a strange topic for me. I guess it depends upon my mood as to whether or not I feel I deserve it. Sometimes I'm all for it. Sometimes it doesn't even occur to me. But I'm starting this week of right.

1. I have a fridge full of lean healthy meat, fresh fruits and veggies, yummy cheese, and good nuts. And a freezer full of ice cream. Because it's all about balance, right? Paying attention to what I'm eating is important to me. Filling my body with food that tastes delicious and is full of nutrients is important to me. Fresh fruit is one of my "happy" things. Grapes, pineapple, watermelon, and berries every morning. I eat it alone each morning. No talking. It's my wake up period. I need wake up time or my day starts off too hectic and I'm in a bad mood before it's even begun. It feels like a good start to my day. And yeah, maybe it ends with ice cream. And of course there is butter in between. But this is what makes me feel good. This is what's important to me. So it's what I do. It's how I take care of me.


2. Hot showers. There are few things on earth that make me feel as good as stepping out of a hot shower. Those fifteen minutes clear everything away. Taking the time to actually take a nice, hot shower rather than a quick, "get it done" thing does a lot to revitalize me and make me feel cared for. A nice deep conditioning treatment for my crazy dry hair. Those moments totally matter. Those moments are definitely self care.


3. A nice evening walk. It's not much, but it matters. Just walking as it cools down each evening is a good way for me to clear my head and feel centered. It's not glamorous, hell, it's not even really fun. But it does something. I feel healthier and more at peace with myself. And for me that definitely counts as self care. And I think the dog really appreciates it as well. So there's that.


4. A big fat trip to Sephora. I have some money set aside for some skincare products. I'm a make up girl and I would usualy rather spend extra cash on a bright lipstick or a new eye shadow palette, but this is going for skin care. I cannot wait to get my hands a good face wash and I am dying to try First Aid Beauty's roll on eye cream. Getting older doesn't have to suck, right? It's little things like this that make me feel better about myself.


5. Number five sucks and I'm not looking forward to it. At all. I haven't had health insurance in YEARS. But I do now. THANKS OBAMA. And thus I need to make a doctors appointment. I do not want to. At all. I've been avoiding it for the last couple months. But it needs to happen and it's time. It's obviously a very important step in taking care of myself so here goes...blah. I hate doctors. Let's be honest, I'm damn scared. But I'm going to do it.

So there you have it, my five ways I'm going to take care of myself this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment